County Deeds Frequently Asked Questions
All records in the Registry can be searched by name, date, document number, or book/volume and page number.

You may come to the Registry and use a computer terminal to start your search. If you need assistance in using any of the computers or any other equipment in the Registry of Deeds, please ask for assistance at the copy desk.

lf you cannot travel to the Registry of Deeds, you can request copies by mail . Give us a call; we will let you know the copy and mailing costs. Some Maine Registries of Deeds use credit cards but cash and checks are always acceptable. Prepaid copy requests are mailed out the same day they are received.

You may also click on the county on the State of Maine map on the home page. This will take you to that county's website.
Not all deeds have plans that accompany them. If your property is part of a subdivision or development, a plan is probably available and we will help you locate it. If a former owner had the property surveyed we will show you how to use the plan index to locate it.
Once an original document has been recorded, it remains a part of the title history and is never removed. If a lien is subsequently paid and the discharge is filed with us for recording, then a search of the records will show that the lien has been satisfied.

If you have problems concerning a credit report. the State of Maine, Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection's telephone number is toll free 1-800-332-8529.
Please feel free to call your county Registry of Deeds to ask for assistance.
Further questions?
What kind of information can I find in the Registry of Deeds records?
What's the difference between a quitclaim deed and a warranty deed?
I had a lien filed against me that is now paid; are you going to remove the lien?
How do I get a copy of my deed?
How do I change a name on my deed?
Can I look something up if I have the address?
Is there a plan of my property on record?
All records in the Registry of Deeds are indexed by name and date.

If you do not know the owners of the property and only have the address, you need to contact the tax assessor of the town or city for the property that you are looking for. They will be able to tell you who the current owner is. For properties in an Unorganized Townships call maine revenue services at 207-624-5600.
The only way to add or remove a name on a deed is to have a new deed drawn up. Once a document is recorded, it cannot be changed. In order to protect your legal interests, we strongly suggest that you contact an attorney to have this done for you.
If you have any questions relative to the type of document and what effect it has you should consult with an attorney. The Registry of Deeds staff is not able to search records, interpret documents, explain their purpose, help fill out forms, supply forms, or explain legal procedures. We suggest that you contact an attorney for legal questions.
Any transaction pertaining to real estate would be recorded here. Deeds, mortgage, real estate tax liens, federal liens, discharges, court attachments, UCC's, plans, and other like documents.